Thursday, October 18, 2007

No Cost Entertainment

Six Low Cost / No Cost Options

What do you do to entertain yourself without money?

This is a big issue for me. I have my two sons (nine and eleven) living with me half the week and keeping them entertained is always a big deal. Even when they are with their mother I still need to do something to keep myself occupied.

1. The Library
This is really a great resource. I use the library to keep up to date on the latest novels, non-fiction books of all types (though I'm partial to history). My local library district has branches all over town. The closest branch to me has family movie nights, community education classes, internet access, and kids story time, I can borrow dvds and cds as well as books. They also feature displays of really nice art work by local high school students.

2. Your children's school
Our elementary school has a variety of inexpensive sports and arts activities for the kids to take part in.

3. Exercise
Exercise is a topic on its own and I plan to cover it in depth in the near future, but if you do it right it is inexpensive entertainment. I think everyone should take a fifteen to thirty minute walk daily and a one to two hour walk on non-work days. Getting out and seeing the world is entertaining! And if you walk to the library you get two for the price of one!

4. Second-run movie theaters
We call these The Dollar Theater. They run movies that have been out for awhile. It's not as cheap as renting a dvd, but sometimes you have to get out of the house.

5. Renting dvds
Borrowing from the library is the best deal, but their selection is limited and in high demand. The dvd rental machines in McDonalds are a fair deal at a dollar a night -- just be sure to return the movie on time!

6. Broadcast television
I know it's supposed to waste your mind, but broadcast TV is free aside from the electricity you use to run the TV. I think I watch about 5 hours of TV a week and I do enjoy CSI.

No comments: